Saturday, October 22, 2016

Wisefish Poké

263 West 19th Street
(between Seventh and Eighth Avenues)


Wanted to find out what the fuss was all about regarding the poké food trend craze, so I went to Wisefish Poké, a cute, laid-back shop.


A large, communal table dominates most of the small space.


Ordering a poké bowl is somewhat similar to how one would place an order at Chipotle. However, as opposed to the cashier being at the end of the assembly line, you place your order with the cashier and then watch the preparers prep your order.

There are recommended “House Favorites” bowls, but you can make one to order as well. Wisefish offers three sizes: snack ($7.95), regular ($10.95), and large ($13.95).


I ordered a snack size for takeout.



For my base, I chose half & half of white rice and zucchini noodles. My main protein was salmon. They offer up to four “mix-in” items. I chose hijiki, jalepeño, herb mix (cilantro, mint, and dill), and ginger mojo (ginger-garlic puree, with a hint of orange). For my sauce, I picked their Wisefish sauce (sweet garlic soy sauce). And for my unlimited “finishes” (from a choice of 8 options), I selected scallion, Hawaiian sea salt, and toasted sesame seeds.

 

Though the snack size bowl seemed rather small, it was more than a filling lunch. The salmon (the pieces were surprisingly plentiful!) was fresh, my selected mix was spicy and tasty, and the zucchini noodles and hijiki offered a delightful crunch factor.



Hint: Go during off-hours (I went around 3 p.m.), as the lines can sometimes run out the door.


Pros:
Fresh fish.
Clean, friendly space.


Cons:
Pricing is a bit high for those looking for a more cost-effective lunch.


Final Thoughts
If one is looking for healthy, filling dish on a hot, humid summer day, poké is a great option.



No comments:

Post a Comment