Saturday, October 22, 2016

Socarrat Chelsea

259 West 19th Street
(between Seventh and Eighth Avenues)


Had wanted to try this tapas bar for a while, but it usually is very crowded and hard to get in for walk-in dinner. So I was happily surprised that we were able to get in on a Tuesday night.

Describing the décor, my dining companion felt we had been transported into a rustic tapas bar in Spain. (She had visited Spain a year ago.)


Though seating is rather tight, I felt that I was able to have a private conversation without the need to shout or fear that I’d be overheard. Might have been that we were seated in the back, so not sure if that would have been the case if I were seated at one of the communal tables.

 
In keeping with that sentiment, we ordered a variety of tapas for our meal. We ordered Almendras y Aceitunas ($8)—almonds and olives. Never thought of pairing olives with nuts!

 
Pan con tomate ($7), which my friend swears is a must-order in any “real” tapas experience. It’s a fresh tomato spread on country toast.


My must-order dishes are the Gambas al Ajillo ($13), sizzling garlic shrimp. Delicious!

 
And the grilled calamari ($14). I always try to order the grilled calamari if it’s on any menu. As I prefer my calamari grilled, as opposed to fried.


To add some salty heat to our meal, we ordered the Pimientos ($8), shishito peppers and sea salt.


For dessert, we ordered a cheese board (3 cheeses for $15). We ordered the manchego (What other cheese would one order in a Spanish bar?), fontina, and I honestly cannot recall the third cheese we selected.
 

To wash down our meal, we ordered a bottle of the Proyeto Garnacha ($42), a fruity wine. A nice, drinkable wine, but nothing extraordinary.



Pros:
Learned that I am a fan of shishito peppers!


Cons:
A bit pricey. Tapas can add up!


Final Thoughts
Would return to order their well-known paella.


No comments:

Post a Comment