Saturday, October 29, 2016

Maru 2 (aka "Just Made" Sushi)


267 West 17th Street
(between Seventh and Eighth Avenues)




The epitome of a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. I only stumbled upon it as I saw the signage.
 

As the days have turned bitterly cold, I was looking for a noodle bar. I saw that they offered a soba and sushi roll special. The menu is taped on a wall.


I went for the soba with shumai and California roll ($12).

The soba noodle soup was spicy, and I requested for it to be mild so can only wonder how spicy the “regular spicy” soup would be.

 

The California roll was premade and stacked in a mini-fridge.
 


The roll was decent, but the wasabi and ginger sides are miniscule (located on right side of container).

 
On another trip, though, I went for what appeared to be their most popular menu item: the unfortunately named “Yummy Stick”—basically a sushi burrito.

 
I ordered their “original”: crab, fried egg, spicy mayo, white mayo, and sriracha sauce wrapped in seaweed and sushi rice. It is made to order (approximately 5 minutes) and comes with a side of soy sauce.


Once I unwrapped it at home, I noticed that it was a decent-sized portion!



Can easily be chopped up to at least eight bite-size pieces.


Really a great deal for only $5!

Perfect for a cheap, filling takeout lunch. With a spicy kick!

 
Hint: Go after 1:30 p.m., as it gets crowded during the lunch rush. I’ve been there with at least five other customers waiting for our order and it is a very tight fit.


 
Pros:
Yummy Stick!!!


Cons:
Open only on weekdays for lunch.


Final Thoughts
Go for the Yummy Stick!


No comments:

Post a Comment