Sunday, September 4, 2016

Auntie Guan's Kitchen 108


108 West 14th Street
(between Sixth and Seventh Avenue)


I have wanted to try this Chinese restaurant, which specializes in Northern cuisine, ever since it opened earlier this year.


Liked that the menu options were plentiful and interesting and accompanied by photos.



I started with a small cup of wanton soup while waiting for my dinner companion. The taste was interesting as the soup came with seaweed, so it was a mix of miso soup and wanton soup. The wanton did taste homemade.


When my friend arrived, we ordered their well-reviewed soup dumplings. The dumplings were pleasingly large and did NOT break when picked up with our tongs (proof of them being well-made). And full of yummy good juiciness!


We also went with the Dan Dan Noodles.


Which looked nothing like the picture in their menu!


This is the first time that I’ve seen Dan Dan noodles made with a mix of a bunch of noodles together. It also didn’t have the spicy chili taste of what one would usually expect from traditional Dan Dan noodle dish.

And we also ordered the sautéed potatoes, green pepper and eggplant dish. It was flavorful and delicious, but thought it had too many potatoes.


What was a bit of a surprise was that the restaurant didn’t serve any alcohol. However, like any self-respecting Chinese restaurant they did offer complimentary tea in small teapots. Though, I have to confess with it being a hot summer night, we mostly stuck with the glasses of regular tap water, which were refilled quickly and frequently.



Pros:
Excellent soup dumplings.


Cons:
NO alcohol!
When paying by credit card, they only provided me with the merchant copy. I had to specially request that they provide me with my customer copy, which caused quite a bit of confusion for some reason.


Final Thoughts
Will return to try their takeout.

No comments:

Post a Comment