Sunday, June 16, 2013

Red Bamboo - Vegan/Vegetarian Cuisine


My friend and I just finished watching a play at the Cherry Lane Theater and wanted to get something to eat.

She is a Vegetarian and remembered that there is an interesting little restaurant hidden around the West 4th Street location.

It is called Red Bamboo and it has only Vegan/Vegetarian Cuisine.

It is located at 140 West 4th Street (between 6th Avenue and Macdougal).  Their hours are from 12:30 pm to 11 pm Mondays - Fridays and from noon to 11 pm on the weekends.

Well, I have to say the food tasted excellent and wanted to blog about it.

We decided to order two appetizers and two entrees to be shared.

The portions were the perfect size.

The dragonfly dumplings and the roti canai arrived at the same time.

The dumplings were filled with some mixture of carrots and cabbage and some other stuffing along with some side greens.  I was expecting some interesting presentation since it was called dragonfly, but it looked like regular dumplings and the taste was just okay.



The roti was actually quite good and that was all due to the dipping sauce.  It was some sort of "chili" dipping sauce, but it looked more like a ginger sauce to me.  I highly recommend that dish.





Then, we got our entrees - both are quite healthy, but I definitely liked one dish more than the other.

The quinoa with salmon was an interesting combination.  I ordered this dish because I wanted to see  what else can be done with quinoa.  It was an okay dish.  It was too dry and there was no sauce.  My friend ordered hot sauce for it, but I don't think that worked for me.  It definitely needed something.

I looked at my other side of my dish where the red curry tofu laid waiting for me to eat.  I wondered, " Hmmm, let's see if I can mix the two together."  Voila!!!?  It was like a taste explosion in my mouth.

That was exactly what was needed.  My friend loved the curry dish and would have licked the serving plate if that was an appropriate thing to do.  The Thai red curry sauce was not spicy at all and that was perfect for me.  It is now going to be my favorite dish and I highly recommend this when you visit.


Ahhh, I am quite full and satisfied.

Dessert, anyone?

My friend and I decided to order one red velvet cake, along with one scoop of butter pecan vegan ice cream.  My friend ate one spoonful of the cake and ice cream while I had the rest.

The red velvet cake was a bit dry so the ice cream was actually a very good pairing.


Well, my final verdict - good restaurant that you should go if you are in the mood for some good vegan or vegetarian dishes.

I am definitely coming back to this place to try some other dishes and want to try their ginger drinks.

Maybe, I will blog about my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment