Sunday, August 24, 2014

Red Cooking Pork and Chestnut

Grand Sichuan International
229 Ninth Avenue
(corner of 24th Street)


A friend of mine raved about the red cooking pork and chestnut entrée at Grand Sichuan. I finally worked up the nerve to order it for takeout.

First, I did have to ask what “red cooking pork” meant. It turns out it’s the literal English translation for the Chinese word of “braised.”

In essence, it’s similar to a beef stew, but instead of beef, braised pork. And chestnuts (which are braised with the pork) are used, instead of potatoes. A bed of spinach lay beneath the pork and chestnuts.


I served it over white rice that came with my order. It is a hearty meal that would be good for a cold, winter’s night.



Final Thoughts
Glad I tried it once, but won’t order again. It’s similar to a dish my mother makes—braised pork and white turnips. I prefer my mom’s version, as the chestnuts taste rather dry. Now, if they can substitute the chestnuts with white turnips, that’s another story!


No comments:

Post a Comment