Saturday, August 17, 2013

Los Tacos No. 1


75 Ninth Avenue
(Chelsea Market)
lostacos1.com


There has been quite a buzz recently about two new arrivals at the Chelsea Market.

So I of course had to check out what all the fuss is about, and see for myself if they live up to the hype!

First up: Los Tacos No. 1.



Started by three friends (one from Tijuana, Mexico, two from Brawley, CA) this food counter stand has been touted as the place to find the best and most authentic Mexican-style taco in NYC. Having heard that the lines at lunch can be as long as a thirty-minute wait, I made sure to go over at around 2:30 p.m.—well after the lunch rush.

My first task was trying to locate it within the Chelsea Market. It’s a bit tricky—I walked right past it in my first attempt of trying to find it. If entering via Ninth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets), stay on your left and it’s off in a corner, which you need to make a left onto. If you’ve past the faux water well, you’ve gone too far.

What helped me immensely was spotting a sign that read: Bienvenidos.




Los Tacos!!!




Once there, check out their menu:


They offer four types of tacos: steak, grilled chicken, pork, and grilled cactus (?!). Once you’ve decided on your order, herewith is the procedure for ordering.

Order at the cash register, under the “Order Here” red arrow. I ordered two tacos: grilled chicken and pork.

Make sure that you get and retain your receipt! Super important to keep it in your hand as you move left with the other customers on the line to get your food.

When you hear the cook shout, “Next!” you hand the cook your receipt. He’ll then ask you if you want it “con todo” or made to order. I asked for both of my tacos to be with everything, which means onions, guacamole sauce, cilantro, and salsa. I also asked for it “to go.”

The food prep is done in your presence, and it’s pretty exciting to watch how much energy and enthusiasm the cooks have. Once you get your tacos, you can add side garnishes if you want. They offer cucumbers, limes, and chili peppers in separate stone bowls that you’d normally prep guacamole in.



I was so excited as I unwrapped my take-out at home. I could smell the cilantro and salsa through the bag. The colors were gorgeous! It just looked fresh and bright and clean! Though the sauce did seep everywhere (I needed to re-plate it from its paper plate onto my ceramic one), the tacos were amazing!! As soon as you bite into one, it is bursting with flavors.



The salsa also was perfect in regards to its heat. Though you can add additional salsa of varying spiciness as a side, I was glad that I went with what the cook decided upon. My favorite was the marinated pork. So sweet, it tasted like roast pork.

Ideally, probably should have eaten the tacos at one of the table-stands at the market, but I hate eating and standing. Perhaps I’ll try that the next time, as I need to try their steak taco as well as their fried quesadilla.

And at $3 per taco, it offers a deliciously satisfying meal that doesn’t make you feel like you have a log sitting in your stomach afterward.

So, hype well-deserved!!




No comments:

Post a Comment