Sunday, February 16, 2014

Barn Joo

893 Broadway
(between 19th and 20th Streets)
www.barnjoo.com


Korean food meets gastropub!

Decor
GORGEOUS interiors. Spacious, yet warm and welcoming.

 
Beautiful herb garden facing front of the street.

 
“Scrolls” were also on the walls with proverbs and sayings.



There is also a spin-the-wheel game near the bar that you can spin to win a free glass of wine, fries, or chicken wings. Though I think you have to have made your reservation through a specific site in order to play.

 

The showstopper though was a four-paneled painting that reflected the four seasons. The figures in the panels actually moved and the painting changed to reflect each season. There were even sound effects of a bird chirping and a rainstorm. Fascinating to watch while waiting to be seated.



Staff was warm and friendly, or at least our server was. She was exceedingly sweet and helpful. I had shown up a bit early for my lunch reservation, so early in fact that they were still getting ready to open up. Instead of telling me to come back in a few minutes (as many other restaurants would and have done in the past), she kindly set up a place-setting for me while I went to freshen up in the ladies’ room. That alone, deserves a gold star for service.


Food
Decent-sized lunch specials.

 

I ordered the Flatiron Special of Spicy Pork Sliders with Gochujang-marinated sliced pork butt and scallion salad. A pickle came wrapped on the plate.


Sliders were flavorful and full of spicy goodness. But not too spicy.  Would order again and again!

It was accompanied with Barn Joo hand-cut fresh potato fries. The fries had this amazing chili taste, may have been flavored with the Gochujang. My friend and I could not stop eating it. Dip it into the mustard sauce that came on the side!

The special also came with a Barn Joo handmade soda. Lots of interesting choices from hibiscus and yuzu flavors, but I chose the Raspberry Lemonade. Loved the citrus taste and the fact that you can taste the fresh-mulled fruit. Perfect with the pork sliders.



All for $10! Not a bad deal at all!

My friend ordered the Tofu & Mushroom Bibimbap with cremini, shitake mushrooms and aromatic root vegetables, along with a small plate of banchan.



 
I had a taste and what made this bibimbap special was that it was made with vegetables freshly purchased from the Farmer’s Market (which was conveniently located a few blocks away at Union Square).

It also came with a soy bean paste soup.




I swear that my friend’s soup had many more mushrooms than mine, but the server had graciously given me a bowl as well (as my lunch did not come with a soup). I had to take a picture simply for the metal bowl that the soup arrived in.

For dessert we shared an order of the Gray & Soy Handmade Green Tea Mousse. It was refreshing, but I particularly liked the cookie crumbles.
 

As we exited the restaurant, we noticed a fan-like basket of goodies. In it were mints and Valentine’s Day chocolate hearts.

 

 
Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment