Sunday, April 16, 2017

Excellent Dumping House (Chelsea)

165 West 23rd Street
(between Seventh Avenue and Eighth Avenue)


On a cold, wet rainy spring day, I was in the mood for soup dumplings. And Excellent Dumpling House had just recently opened in Chelsea.

Small, clean, and comfortable dining environment.

 
With banquettes on one side


And tables on the other


The staff would stand in the center to easily monitor the customers’ needs. It also makes it easy for the customer to catch a server’s attention.

The restaurant is generally packed during lunch hour so I would recommend going during off hours. I luckily showed up at around 2 p.m.

While they offered a variety of dumplings, I decided to satisfy my craving and ordered the steamed xiao long bao ($7.50).


They were cooked perfectly as was able to pick them up without a single dumpling breaking.


Also, the soup inside the dumplings were warm and didn’t burn my tongue as some soup dumplings in other restaurants are wont to do.



I also ordered a bowl of their pork chashu noodle soup served with ramen and bean sprouts in a thick chicken broth ($9.95).


Absolutely delicious and filling. The pork belly literally melted in my mouth. And they did not skimp on the amount of pork, either!

I also liked the wooden spoon that came with the soup bowl! And I drank every drop of that soup.


Perfect meal for a cold day!

While they don’t serve alcohol, the waitstaff kept my water glass filled without my even having to ask.
 

Pros:
Excellent service: attentive and not intrusive.



Cons:
No alcohol.
Limited dessert menu.



Final Thoughts
Would definitely return when I’m in the mood for soup dumplings and also to try their other dumplings as well as other entrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment