Sunday, August 2, 2015

Don Giovanni Ristorante


214 Tenth Avenue
(between 22nd and 23rd Streets)

 
Ever since my experience of dining at Marta’s earlier this year, I’ve been a fan of brick-oven pizza places that offered Neapolitan thin-crust pizzas.

And Don Giovanni did not disappoint.

Went for a late lunch, and with a wide offering of pizzas,

 
I ordered the Bella Mia—a pizza topped with a fried egg, artichoke, pepperoni, and mushrooms.

 

Filling and delicious!

A small pie was more than enough for one person. I actually ended up taking some home and am happy to report that a day later, the slice was still tasty. As opposed to how some day-old pizza crusts become dry and hard like cardboard, this slice still was soft and easy to chew.

The restaurant does offer other entrée options such as pastas, heroes, and dishes like chicken marsala and veal parmigiana

 
As it was a brutally hot July day, I decided to order a glass of white wine as opposed to my usual red (which would be the natural complement for pizza and pasta). After sampling their Chardonnay and their Sauvignon Blanc, I went with the waitress’s suggestion of the Sauvignon as that was sweeter and lighter:

 
I had wanted to order a rosé, but unfortunately they only offered one type by the glass, which was a dry rosé, and I like my rosés sweet.

I then went next door to Empire Diner for dessert.
 

Pros:
Excellent thin-crust pizza.
Affordable pricing!
Offers a leisurely and unhurried atmosphere.


Cons:
Wine options rather limited.


Final Thoughts
Will be a frequent return customer as the pricing is right, and I want to try out their other pizza options.


No comments:

Post a Comment